Saturday, February 24, 2018

New York Trip, Part III

And this is the last.

I remembered my resolution as I was walking from the Natural History Museum to the temple not to be embarrassed about taking pictures. (I tend to be embarrassed no matter whether I'm on my home turf or not, if I'm in public.) So the next three are just cool iron gratings in front of buildings in streets which are quite close to the Manhattan LDS temple.

First, a couple more creatures-that-are-not-gargoyles:

Then, a cool piece of ironwork just below a window-- quite frankly, it reminded me of some of the cool ironwork in front of rowhouses that I see in Baltimore when I go up there:
 

In the afternoon, after I had gotten back to the hotel and Mom had finished her meetings for the day, we decided together to go to St. Patrick's Cathedral. This was beautiful and well-worth the visit, and also the light was dim enough that I'm going to have to send you off to the wide, wide internet again to find someone else's gorgeous pictures of the inside (or even the outside-- sorry).

We walked past the famous Rockefeller Center on the way back, with its skating rink. And then... as we passed a building... I saw a sign which I could not help taking a picture of, despite the deplorable lighting conditions. I squealed when I said, "MOM! LOOK!"
 
And I was a happy chica.

After I got back home, I told friends that I had heard that New York is awesome because it's big, but I came to the opposite conclusion: it's big because it's awesome. I actually found it to be, in a way, rather cozy. This is no doubt related to the fact that I took zero motorized transportation in the time I was there, and my own two feet carried me to enough cool places to make me rawther happy for one trip. I am super excited to go again, whenever that is. :)

No comments: